Monday, January 23, 2006

Changing

recently as you all have been reading...My hub has to change careers...It is rather stressful on him...It got me to thinken...
How we define ourselves..
My hubby... Very clearly defines himself through his work (as do alot of men)
he gains most of his respect from work and most of his encouragement and self esteem through his work.
being a stay at home mom it is very hard not to define myself as "just a mom"
and believe me being a stay at home mom is indeed a career in and of it's self.
Many people define themselves by their work or by what they do...
and when that is taken away...Then what?

Our jobs and careers are not who we are or what we are and it does not in my opinion define who we are because all that can be gone in a blink of an eye....
we can lose our jobs...We can lose our ability to do our jobs...Our kids grow up and move out... Our bodies break down and we are no longer able to do the things we used to....

Yes I firmly believe that what we do does not define who we are...
but.....I do believe we are defined by who we are... are actions as people as who we were made to be...Are personality's are beliefs are nationality are heritage.

well anyway this is just my opinon .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope that your husband finds something that he enjoys just as much and perhaps even better at! This comes so timely with my mom losing her job. I only hope she can make the same conclusions you have, and soon. Thanks for the reminder of what we all should know.
Jen